RED January 2021

I set myself the challenge to run every day in January. I did it, but snowy and icy conditions all month made it more of a challenge than I was expecting.

Fundraising for JCWI in 2021

This is the first recap post of my 2021 monthly running challenges. These challenges are part of my fundraiser for the Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants. 


Recapping the horrors of UK immigration each month

As part of my fundraising efforts, I am also raising awareness about what's happening in the world of UK immigration each month.

I want people to understand just how much awfulness happens in 28 to 31 days. My recaps will be over on my Medium site.

Why RED January 

Running every day in January is an actual thing. It's called RED January. It has a website and everything.


I only heard of it last year when I saw someone on my Strava feed participating in it.

After spending 2020 running a monthly half marathon, I liked the idea of starting 2021 running more often, but shorter distances.

I didn't set myself a minimum distance to run each day, but for the most part, I ran around 5k (3.1 miles) when the weather was okay, 2 miles when the weather was not okay.

A gorgeous sunny start

My first day of RED January was one of the few days of risk-free running. It was sunny. No ice to worry about.
Me in sunglasses at the end of my day 1 run.
Day 1 run done.
It wasn't completely pain-free, though, as I got a stitch a mile in. But I still managed to do 5k.
View of Edinburgh city center on a clear blue day.
The Edinburgh view along the 5k route.

I fell on day 2

I was surprised to wake up to an inch of snow on the ground on day 2. I made the mistake of thinking snowy wouldn't mean icy, and ended up slipping not even a half mile in. 

My legs were fine, thankfully. My elbows took the brunt of the fall.

It was a lesson learned in not running on snow. Just try and find any bit of clear (but not icy) pavement.

A month of never-ending snow and ice

Day 2 was representative of what most of RED January was like. 

Every week brought another batch of snow. 
A snowy field.
Snow.
The snow would turn to slush.
Slush on the pavement.
Slush.
Slush would turn to ice. 

A very icy pavement.
Ice.
Rain would wash it away, only for it to start snowing again right after.

Edinburgh city view with snow in the foreground.
Oh look, snow again.
I don't ever remember conditions being this bad in the 10 Januarys I have experienced in Edinburgh. 

I was hoping running shorter distances this month would see me run faster after the 2020 half marathons slowed me down. But the ever-present ice meant my runs were often a terrifying obstacle course.

After slipping on only day 2, I spent the rest of the month being extra cautious, which meant running extra slowly. I thankfully never slipped again, but there were some close calls.

It was also very apparent to me just how high above sea level I am when I would complain about the wintry conditions, and my coworkers who live at sea level were not experiencing these same problems.

This was probably best captured by the difference in snow I could see in the Pentlands versus Arthur's Seat in the center of town.
Snowy Pentlands on January 21.

Less snowy Arthur's Seat on January 21.
The Pentlands were my go-to photo on runs just to keep proving how continually snow-covered they were.
Snow covered Pentlands in the distance but clear farm lands.
Pentlands on January 12.

Snowy Pentlands in the distance and snowy farmlands.
Pentlands on January 23.

Snowy Pentlands in the distance and puddle-filled farm lands.
Pentlands on January 30.

Lunchtime running

Because the conditions were often treacherous, I only ran at lunchtime when the temperatures were warmest.

That was new for me. During the week, I always run at night, even in winter. But the icy conditions of January 2021 did not make running every night seem like a safe idea.

I actually really liked running at lunchtime. It was something I looked forward to during the workday. For the most part, my afternoons felt more energized after a run. 

Edinburgh residents need to learn what a shovel is

The downside of my weekday lunchtime runs were that the icy conditions also constrained me to basically one route. 

The best maintained sidewalks were the ones on the main roads which get regularly salted in bad weather. So I just kept running on the main roads.

This wouldn't be such an issue if the good people of Edinburgh would just learn about the concept of shoveling.

To be fair, there's usually not that much snow, but there's enough to warrant owning a shovel.

Because what happens is it snows, people don't shovel or salt the pavement, and then it ices over.

Ice would not have been such an issue this month if everyone just shoveled their bit of pavement. 

I find this hard to get to grips with when I'm from a place where it is mandatory to shovel your sidewalks so people can walk on them safely.

I couldn't believe when I passed some houses on my runs where instead of shoveling, people were sweeping their snowy driveways with a broom. Shovels, people. Shovels.

Braid Hills weekends

The weekends often had the better, less icy weather. I took the opportunity to change up the route then and run to the start of Braid Hills for a few scenic snaps.

My go-to shot from Braid Hills Drive.

A selfie to show how happy I was not being worried about ice.
And I got to see some horses, too.
Two horses in a field with the Pentlands in the background.
Horses with Pentlands in the background.

Horse eating grass with fence in front.
Horses across the street.

Trail fail

I did make the mistake of trying out trail running one of those warmer weekends.

I encountered very unrunnable mud. Or ice on top of mud. Lots of stopping and starting that run.
Muddy path with wood carving of an owl in the middle of it.
Yeah, I can't run in that.

I did get to see some Highland coos just chilling, though, which was a nice change of scene.

Highland coos sitting in a field.
Content coos.
A perfect 10k on day 30

Until the final weekend, my longest run for RED January was just over 4 miles. I had never gone that long without running 10k (6.2 miles) since I started running 10k's consistently back in summer 2018. 

So I took the opportunity of a blue-skied day 30 to run my regular 6.5 mile route, and boy-oh-boy did that run feel amazing.

It felt like the perfect run. Not perfect in terms of technicality. Overall, it was pretty slow.

But it had this beautiful nostalgic feeling to it. Like I missed my regular 6.5 mile route, and I was so happy to be running it again.
Edinburgh Castle in the distance.
Edinburgh Castle in the distance.
It honestly felt like what I imagine hugging my family will feel like whenever this pandemic ends and I can see them again. It was a reunion with something I love and that brings me comfort.

This is why I love this sport. When times are crap (like living through another national lockdown), running lets me escape into a happier world for a bit.
Me smiling with Arthur's Seat in the background.
Spoiler alert: Lauren loves running.

So long, RED January

With my final run today, that's RED January done. I think it was a brilliant way to kick off a year of running challenges.

The weather might have been absolutely terrifying lots of the time, but nonetheless, I still really liked getting out each day. 

Daily running is something I hadn't done since winter 2018 when I started out. RED January felt like reconnecting with my reasons for running, which, as I explain in my 2021 challenges intro post, has to do with going through the awfulness of the UK immigration system.

So on that note, could you support my fundraiser for JCWI? We need to fight for a fairer immigration system.

February challenge

Thia (who I am fundraising with) came up with the brilliant idea of making February a challenge for everyone to get involved in: running, walking, or cycling in the shape of a heart for Valentine's Day.

I'll have more details on this blog in a few days, but the basic breakdown is:
  • use Strava (or similar app) to do a run/walk/cycle in the shape of a heart
  • share the route map on Twitter with #HaveAHeart and tag in @ReuniteDivFamil
We're doing this in conjunction with Reunite Families who provide support for families who have been separated due to the UK's cruel family immigration policies.

Don't think an income requirement should separate families? Then #HaveAHeart and join us in this challenge. 

Comments

  1. Hi Lauren, what a pleasure to read your blog. I really like how you capture the way the conditions led you to be creative with getting the challenge done. I also totally get that feeling you describe having after your 10km run.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Edinburgh Half Marathon 2023

Loch Ness Marathon

Edinburgh Winter Run 5k 2023