April 2021 challenge: 10 days of 10k's

I ran a 10k 10 days in a row and came away from the experience feeling fit and calm.

Fundraising for JCWI in 2021

This is the 4th recap post of my 2021 monthly running challenges. These challenges are part of my fundraiser for the Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants (JCWI). 



Recapping the horrors of UK immigration each month

As part of my fundraising efforts, I am also raising awareness about what's happening in the world of UK immigration each month.

I want people to understand just how much awfulness happens in 28 to 31 days. My recaps will be over on my Medium site.

Why 10 days of 10k's

10k is my favorite distance. Doing it 10 days in a row seemed like a good challenge to try out.

My 10k runs

Day 1: Hermitage

My 10k challenge got off to a sunny start going through the Hermitage. I was out early enough for the trails not to be too crowded with people.
Braid Burn with rocks in the water and trees in the background.
Braid Burn running through the Hermitage.

Me in a blue top and sunglasses smiling with Braid Burn behind me.
Just about to exit the pretty bits.

Day 2: The coast

I cycled over to Musselburgh and ran 5k east along the coast and then turned around for the 5k back.

It was an absolutely gorgeous day, warm and sunny. 
Me in a purple shirt and sunglasses smiling with the Firth of Forth behind me.
Ready to run along the coast.

Rock and the Firth of Forth with clear blue skies.
Mid-route.

The East Lothian coast from the turn around point of the run.
Turning around at the halfway point.

Needless to say, though, cycling 15 miles round trip combined with running 6.2 miles tired me out for day 3's run.

Day 3: Duddingston

My run to Duddingston first went past Craigmillar Castle, where I took what I think is the best picture I've ever taken.
Craigmillar Castle exterior with grass in the foreground.
The best photo I've ever taken.

When I got into Duddingston, I decided to run along the loch, unsure if there actually was an exit at the other end I could run out of. 
Swans in Duddingston Loch.
Swans chilling in Duddingston Loch.

Me in a blue top and sunglasses smiling with a swan in the loch behind me.
A swan interrupting my selfie.
I didn't wear trail shoes for this run, but between the loch and Craigmillar Castle Park, this ended up being a very trail-y run. 
A dirt trail along the loch.
Trails along the loch.
Part of this trail-y run ended up including climbing up the steepest hill ever. Not what I expected to be doing on this run. 
The trail at Duddingston Loch with a tree in the background.
After reaching more level ground from the steep climb.
It got to a point where I kept running uphill, realizing that the road was getting farther below, with no exit from the loch in sight.

So I had to run back down to a point where I could jump onto the road. This was definitely the most adventuresome run of the 10 days.

Once out of Duddingston, I had a pretty incredible view or the Crags and Arthur's Seat.
Panoramic view of the Crags on the left, Arthur's Seat on the right.
Crags on the left, Arthur's Seat on the right.

Day 4: Bilston Glen Viaduct

I ran to the Bilston Glen Viaduct, which is part of a pedestrian/cycle route I normally pass while cycling.

As I was on foot, I took the opportunity to actually read the sign on the viaduct. I learned it was built in 1892 by the North British Railway Company, and then restored in 1999.

Thrilling stuff, I know.
The white rails of the Bilston Glen Viaduct.
Bilston Glen Viaduct.

Me in a pink headband and white sweatshirt with the white rails of the viaduct behind me.
Taking a selfie with an extra rusty bit in the background.

Day 5: Braid Hills

This was my first intentional trail run of the 10 days. 

I first ran through the trails south of Braid Hills before turning up into the hills themselves.
A path in the Woodlands Trail.
The Woodlands Trail just south of Braid Hills.

Grassy fields in Seven Acre Park with Arthur's Seat in the distance.
The edge of Seven Acre Park.

Me in a pink headband and white sweatshirt smiling in Braid Hills.
Happy in the hills.

A panoramic view of Edinburgh from Braid Hills.
Braid Hills has the best views.
It even started snowing at some points.

Day 6: Leith

After some pretty slow runs, I was able to speed up as I had a pretty much downhill run over to Leith. 
Edinburgh city center buildings.
Edinburgh city center from Regent Road.

Sprinting down Easter Road felt particularly glorious. Especially because I remembered how awful running up it was during my July 2020 half marathon.

After months of not being able to keep almost any runs average under 10 minute miles, I averaged 9:34 per mile this run. Woo.
Me in a pink headband and white sweatshirt with Port of Leith in the background.
Fast Lauren is a happy Lauren.

Day 7: University of Edinburgh

I decided to pay homage to my alma mater and employer by running between the University of Edinburgh's King's Buildings campus and the central campus.
A brown building at King's Building campus with a sign that says University of Edinburgh in the foreground.
King's Building campus.

George Square Gardens with the Main Library on the left.
George Square.


Me smiling in front of McEwan Hall.
Fast Lauren at McEwan Hall.
I averaged 9:30 per mile, so even faster than the day before.

Day 8: Southside trails

My legs were feeling incredibly tired after my speedy 10k's the past 2 days, so I decided to slow it down with a trail run on a spectacularly sunny morning. 

It was all going okay. I passed some pretty sights. Got up close to some Highland coos.
Burdiehouse Burn and the path alongside it.
Burdiehouse Burn.

A weird-looking bent tree along a trail.
I like this tree.

A green field with the Pentlands in the background and blue skies.
Pentlands in the background.

Me in a blue top and sunglasses smiling with the Pentlands in the background.
Happy Trail Lauren.

A green field with blue skies.
At the end of a nice downhill stretch.

A Highland coos sitting in a field with a barbed wire fence in front.
Cool coo.
And then at mile 5 I tripped and fell over a tree root. Thankfully it was my left hand that took of the most impact, but my initial reaction was dreading how I would get through the last 2 runs. 
The tree root I fell over.
The scene of the trip and fall.

Day 9: Dean Village and the Water of Leith

I ran up to Dean Village through the west side of the city center. 
Blue skies over a Dean Village building on the Water of Leith.
Blue skies over Dean Village.

Charming-looking building on the Water of Leith.
Oh how charming.
I then hopped onto the Water of Leith path which was pleasantly quiet. 
Me smiling in sunglasses and a blue top with the Water of Leith behind me.
Starting the Water of Leith path.
I would have taken more pictures if it weren't for the fact that I could see my photo battery draining. Some absolutely beautiful sights along the way.
A waterfall along the Water of Leith.
The last photo I took before I noticed my draining phone battery.

Day 10: Braid Hills Drive

I kept debating where to do my last 10k, and my indecisiveness led me to just choose my usual 10k route that crosses along Braid Hills Drive.

I was hoping to push for another fast run, but could immediately feel that my legs were done. I'd just make it through the run.

It was another sunny morning, and the roads were clear where I set off from. But at around 2 miles in, I started seeing snow on roofs, cars, and the ground. 

I thought I took photographic evidence of this, but I don't seem to have a picture of it on my phone.

When I got to Braid Hills Drive, clear blue skies let me take in the sights of Edinburgh Castle...
Edinburgh Castle in the distance with a field in front.
Edinburgh Castle.
...the Royal Observatory all the way over to Arthur's Seat...
A view of Edinburgh from the Royal Observatory all the way over to Arthur's Seat.
Getting closer to the best view point along the route.

...this random horse...
A white horse with Arthur's Seat in the background.
Up close and personal.
...and just a whole load of prettiness.
A panoramic view of Edinburgh from Braid Hills Drive.
The best view along Braid Hills Drive.

Me in a blue top and sunglasses smiling with Edinburgh city centre in the background.
Never get tired of running this route.
Quite the day to end the 10 days of 10k's.

Running reflections

Running an entire month in 10 days

I just ran 62 miles/100k in the past 10 days. That's normally how much I run in an entire month. It's a bit crazy to think about that. 

Tired but fit

Safe to say I'm very tired. But I also feel incredibly fit. I'm amazed at what my body is capable of.

I said in my 2019 end-of-year post that I felt confident in calling myself an athlete after a year of 10k races. 


After 10 consecutive days of 10k's, I feel even more confident with this title. I just did a serious athletic endeavor. 

Like a running holiday

I'm also amazed at all the different places I managed to run to in such a short stretch of time. I only planned my routes out the morning of each run, and I managed to get in some cool sights. 

It felt like a proper running holiday even though it was all in the city I live in (and surrounding areas).

Keeping calm 

I said in my intro post for these 2021 challenges that I started running when my experiences with the UK immigration system depressed me to the point that I felt compelled to run.

Since then, running has always been my go-to activity to calm me down and clear my head. I have especially felt those effects these last 10 days. 

I had been feeling incredibly anxious in the weeks leading up to the 10k's. I was hoping these runs would keep me focused and distracted from that anxiety. 

But I underestimated just how much running 10k every day would calm me down almost completely. 

There were other factors at play, too, but I love that running is something where I alone have the power to make myself feel better. I'm ending my 10 days feeling strong, happy, and free.

So on that note, one final push for my fundraiser. While I'm grateful to have found running and all the resiliency it has brought me, it shouldn't have had to happen because we have an immigration system that hurts people.

My fundraiser for JCWI is to make sure we do all we can to challenge an abusive system and support those who have been hurt by it.

May challenge

Morning running.

I know this doesn't sound that exciting, but this is a new venture for me as someone who normally runs in the afternoon or evening. 

I am going to make going for a run the first thing I do in the morning. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Edinburgh Half Marathon 2023

Loch Ness Marathon

Running in 2023