June 2021 challenge: park runs

I spent June running 48.8 miles through 79 Edinburgh parks.

Fundraising for JCWI in 2021

This is the 6th recap post of my 2021 monthly running challenges. These challenges are part of my fundraiser for the Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants (JCWI). 



Recapping the horrors of UK immigration each month

As part of my fundraising efforts, I am also raising awareness about what's happening in the world of UK immigration each month.

I want people to understand just how much awfulness happens in 28 to 31 days. My recaps will be over on my Medium site.

Why park runs

The idea just came to me one day to run through as many parks in Edinburgh as I could. It sounded cool. So I did it.

Planning the runs

I decided I would do it by doing 4 separate runs through east, west, north and south Edinburgh.

I mapped out routes for each direction passing through every park I could squeeze in. 

For my first run (east), I relied on Google Maps to find parks. It's doesn't actually list some of the smaller parks around, so I ended up finding a few more unexpected parks along the way.

For the next 3 runs, I used the MyParkScotland website to plan my routes. Very handily, a website with such a name has a map listing (almost) every park in Edinburgh.


Because there are so many parks, I decided to only run through places with 'park' in the name. So if something was just called 'gardens' or by another name, I didn't add it to the list.

East Edinburgh parks

Total running distance: 9.7 miles

Total parks: 19

I had originally mapped out 13 parks, but ended up finding 6 more along the way.

It was the hottest day of the year (at that point) with the sun shining and me forgetting to put on sunblock before I left.

The greatest thing I did, though, was finally make use of the hydration pack in my running backpack. Having what seemed like an endless supply of water made running in the heat so much more tolerable.

Craigmillar Castle Park

I felt the need to take a picture of the castle from a different angle from my April challenge post.
Craigmillar Castle with a grassy field in front.

Little France Park

The 1st unexpected park.
A black board with a sign that says Little France Park with grass behind it.

Greendykes North Park

The 2nd unexpected park. I think this play area is so cool-looking.
Salmon colored turf with striped tan mounds on it. 2 silver slides are behind it.

Hunter's Hall Public Park

Some drama with this park. I was running through a neighborhood right next to it and trying to find an entrance into the park grounds.

I ran over to what looked like an entrance and was met with an overly-littered bit of the woods, complete with an overturned shopping cart.
An overturned supermarket trolley surrounded by litter.

I questioned whether this really was an entrance into the park when I saw my way in was through a narrow rectangle of a metal fence.
An opening in a metal fence to get to the park path.

I couldn't help but be reminded of the times I got lost in the woods during some of my 2019 10k running trips. Here I was getting myself into trouble again.

Luckily, this narrow entrance did take me into the park.
A foot bridge across a river.

A grassy field with a few trees and playpark on the right.

Hays Park

The 3rd unexpected park. It was very tiny.
A semicircular sign that says Hays Park with a paved path underneath.

Jewel Park

A tall metal poll with a couple of spokes coming off the top in the middle of a park.

Bingham Park

Its grass was getting cut when I passed through.
A grassy field with a lawn mower on the left and playpark on the right.

Joppa Quarry Park

This was a nice park to be in on a clear day. Lovely view of the Firth of Forth when I got to the entrance.
A grassy field with the sea in the far distance.

Abercorn Park

It's a block from the beach.
A grassy fields with bushes and trees scattered around.

**Beach stop**

Not a park, but worth a mention.

Part of the reason I chose east Edinburgh for my 1st run was because it was such a sunny day. I wanted to run to Portobello Beach, especially as a haar over the city the day before canceled my plans to cycle there.

When I finally got to the beach, I decided to take my shoes off and stand in the water for a bit. I went up to where the water touched my knees.
My legs standing in the water.

It felt absolutely brilliant. Like a few minutes of feeling like I was on holiday and not still living through a pandemic.
A selfie of me smiling while standing in the Firth of Forth.

Once I got out of the water, I ran barefoot along the beach while my feet dried off. After clearing away the excess sand, I put my sneakers back on and continued to the next parks.

Straiton Place Park

This is right along the beach and was very busy with tiny children.
A playground with lots of kids running around.

Brighton Park

The gate to Brighton Park with the name inscribed in it and the grassy field behind it.


Rosefield Park

The entrance sign to Rosefield Park with a playground behind it.

Treverlen Park

Mainly a skate park. Also the 4th unexpected park.
A green bin with grass and skating ramps behind it.

Figgate Park

While it has some pretty bits with a pond and wooden walkway, it was also pretty swampy and humid.
A pond with shrubbery in front of it.

A selfie of me standing on a wooden walkway.

Baronscourt Park

The sign to Baronscourt Park with a football pitch behind it.

Meadowfield Park

Best park of the run. Just an incredible bit of land at the east edge of Holyrood Park with amazing views of the Firth of Forth. If you check out any park from this run, make it Meadowfield Park.
A silver tube slide in a park overlooking the Firth of Forth.

Cairntows Park

The 5th unexpected park.
A wire fence with a field behind it.

Holyrood Park (from a distance)

This is kinda cheating because I didn't go into Holyrood Park, just took a picture of it from Peffermill Playing Fields.

But it was lunchtime and it would have added another few miles just to take a photo in the heat. I prioritized lunch instead.
Arthur's Seat as seen from a metal fence at Peffermill.

Inch Park

Technically south Edinburgh but it was too nearby not to sneak it in at the end. While I know of this park, it was the 6th unexpected one of the run.
A sign showing the views from Inch Park with the grassy park behind it.

West Edinburgh parks

Total running distance: 11.5 miles

Total parks: 20

Braidburn Valley Park

I originally had this on my south parks run route, but it was so close to my starting point, I nipped in to make it part of the west route. 

Of course, nipping in meant I got the least interesting photo of an otherwise spectacular-looking park.
Braid Burn in the park.


Redhall Park

The start of many parks with kids playing football.
A grassy field with kids playing football in the distance.


Hailes Quarry Park

What an interesting find. First, it has the greatest entrance sign. It looked like something from a 1970s game show set.
The entrance to Hailes Quarry Park which has scrabble tile-looking lettering arranging in a semicircular shape.

Literally every other park uses the same green sign, or silver letters in the gate. But no, Hailes Quarry is doing its own thing.

Second, it also has a wetland area. You could walk onto this wooden path and deck area to check out all the, you know, nature.
A wooden walkway in the middle of marshy land.

Me smiling on the wooden walkway.

It wasn't a sit-down park. No one is mowing this grass.
Overgrown grass in the park.

Whinhill Park

A grassy field.


Broomhill Community Park

Wasn't on my original list. Based on the tiny gate to in, this seemed to be very much aimed at small children.
A sign for Broomhill Community Park with lots of animals on it.

Sighthill Public Park

There were even some trails to run through. A bit litter-filled, though.
A tree-covered trail in the park.

The grassy field of the park.


Gyle Park

Lots of sporting going on at Gyle Park. It was quite massive, but only popped into it, not wanting to add more mileage to an already long run. 
A grassy field with trees in the middle.

St Margaret's Park

This had beautiful hilly views in the distance.
A grassy field with tennis courts and hills in the distance.

Union Park

A grassy field with football and rugby posts.

**Train and tram crossing**

Not a park, obviously, but wasn't expecting these on my route.
Train tracks.

Tram crossing with the tram about to pass.


Stenhouse Place East Park

Originally ran past the entrance and had to turn back around to find it.
A playground with houses in the distance.


Saughton Park

This was the most amazing park of the route, and I can't believe I had never heard of it.

It's in 2 parts: there's the sports fields and playground.
Tennis courts, a playpark, and outdoor exercise equipment in the park.

Then there's the walled garden.

The garden was incredibly beautiful. Lots of pretty, flower-filled paths to walk through. How has no one ever mentioned this place?! It puts the Botanical Gardens to shame.

Like the beach stop in the east route, I took the time to stop and meander here.
A wooden fence with maze-like landscape features behind it.

A maze-like garden.

A gazebo with green railings.

Plants in Saughton Gardens.

Me smiling with a circular landscape feature behind me.

Circular landscape features in the gardens.

Flowers in the gardens.

Glendevon Park

If you didn't know about the existence of this park, you would never find it. Only one entrance in off a residential street.
A green sign for Glendevon Park with a playground behind it.

No one was in. There was a swing set. I love swings. I stopped to go on the swings.
Me smiling sitting on the swings.

My legs swinging on the swing.

Balgreen Park

Similar (and close to) Glendevon. One entrance in (and almost didn't find it). Same playground equipment, just a bit more land.
A playground in a park.

Roseburn Park

This is right between Murrayfield Stadium and the Water of Leith.

So in the park I saw people playing cricket.
People playing cricket with Murrayfield Stadium behind them.

And on the other side there were lovely views of the Water of Leith, where I saw a grey heron just chilling.

Water of Leith with buildings behind it.

A grey heron standing in the Water of Leith.

Murieston Park

The first park I've been in where the gate in has lock you have to slide horizontally to get in.

It was a really beautiful spot on such a sunny day.
A grassy field with trees lining it.

Gorgie/Dalry Community Park

It was weirdly shaped on a very narrow bit of land, but managed to fit in a basketball court and playground.
A playground in an overgrown park.

White Park
A green sign for White Park with a playground behind it.


Harrison Park

There are technically 2 parks.

Harrison Park West.
A grassy field with lots of people sitting in it.

Harrison Park East (right next to the Union Canal).

A grassy field surrounded by buildings.

The Union Canal with a church behind it.

Meadowspot Park

This was quite unexciting. Just a bit of land. 
A grassy field with buildings behind it.

There was a hilly trail going off of it that I attempted to run before I realized I was going the wrong way.
A tree-covered trail with pieces of wood on the ground.

Morningside Park

There's a grassy bit on a slope, then a tennis court, then a playground.

Not gonna lie, I expected a little something extra from a park in Morningside. 
A grassy field with a green flag on a flag pole.

North Edinburgh parks

Total running miles: 13.6

Total parks: 22 (not counting 1 repeat park)

There was also a total of 9 miles of cycling to and from my start/end point. Needless to say, my legs were very tired when I got home and I fell asleep quite early.

Regent Road Park

My start and end point for the run.
A tree in the middle of a circle lined with rocks.

Lochend Park

Never been before but quite a nice spot with the little loch in the middle.

A pond with ducks on the shore.

Which had lots of ducks around it.
Ducks in front of a middle fence.

Dalmeny Street Park

A man on a bench in the middle of a park.

Pilrig Park

A grassy field with trees lining it.

Redbraes Park

A field with a tan-colored horseshoe shape in the middle of it.

St Mark's Park

It was after St Mark's that I got onto the 1st of many cycle/pedestrian paths. I didn't realize just how many paths were about in the north of the city.
A grassy field with trees lining it.

This included part of the Water of Leith path.
Water of Leith lined with trees.

Henderson Gardens Park

You can see an H in the gate to get in.
A playpark surrounded by a metal fence.

Mill Lane Park
A park with a tree behind it.

Coalie Park (is it a park?)

This wasn't on the MyParkScotland website, but it was on OpenStreetMap. I didn't see a sign for it, so not really sure it is a park. 

Trees with pavement in front.
Doesn't really look like a park. Just a bit of grass next to the Water of Leith.
Steps leading down to the Water of Leith.

Keddie Park

Just one of those parks with absolutely nobody in it.
A green sign to Keddie Park with a playground behind it.

Victoria Park

A grassy field lined with trees.
Starbank Park

Wow. The highlight of the run. This park was beautiful from the second I walked in and saw pretty flowers with a backdrop of the Firth of Forth behind it.
Trees and flowers with the Firth of Forth in the distance.
There's an upper part which is the gardeny bit. There was a fairytale theme going on with all the trees lining it. They had these little doors all around them.
A tree with mini doors on it.

A tree with mini doors on it.
There were beautiful floral arrangements everywhere.
A circle of flowers and bushes.

People sitting and standing in the gardens.

Selfie in the gardens.
From the upper bit, you can walk down to the lower bit and are treated to some incredible water views.
The Firth of Forth as seen from Starbank Park.
Guess who was happy to be by the water?
Selfie in the lower part of the park.

If you zoom in, you can see in fact that Starbank does in fact have a star landscaped into it.
A star imprinted into the park.

Happy Water Lauren also had to stop by Wardie Bay Beach.

The beach with a few people standing or swimming.

And take another selfie, of course.
Selfie with the Firth of Forth behind me.

Granton Crescent Park

You could see the Firth once you got to the top.


A playpark with tall buildings in the background.

East Pilton Park

Just a lot of land.
A grassy field with houses behind it.

West Pilton Park

Oh look, more land.
A grassy field with tall buildings behind it.

Muirhouse Linear Park

As the name suggests, it's basically shaped like a narrow line.
A paved path with a playground to the right of it.

Silverknowes Park

It is on MyParkScotland, but again, I don't really think it's much of a park. Just a really big field.
A grassy field with trees in the distance.

Davidson's Main Park

This wasn't on my original route because I didn't want to go this far, but then the little competitive voice in me told me I could just add on another 2 miles to my route, right?

I'm actually glad I did because I thought this was quite nice. Very slopey but not too hilly. 
Yellow flowers in a field and trees around it.

There were also trails around it, which, if I had more time, I would have loved to run through.
A trail path in the park.

East Drylaw Park
A playground in the middle of a field.

Orchard Park North
A grassy field lined with trees.

Inverleith Park

I entered through the south bit which has a little pond.

A pond in the middle of the park.
It has a wooden walkway to a viewing area, but this was closed.
A wooden walkway.

I also discovered the Sundial Garden within it which I never knew about.
A sundial surrounded by a metal fence.

Got back on the Water of Leith after I exited the park.
Water of Leith with trees on either side.

King George V park

This is a weirdly-shaped park. Also my worst photo because it was small with a lot of people in it, and I didn't want to be the creeper taking photos of them all.
A very shady view of the park.

Holyrood Park (again, from a distance)

Again, I didn't go in it even though I was so closer this time than with the east parks run. My legs weren't going any further after a half marathon of park running.

But I couldn't not take this picture.
Salisbury Crags under blue skies.

South Edinburgh parks

Total running miles: 14 (my longest run to date!)

Total parks: 18 (not counting 1 repeat park)

Moredun Park

A grassy park with bushes jutting out.

Ferniehill Community Park

It did have some nice flower arrangements going on.
A circle of flowers in the park.

Drum Park

Mainly just a really big field.
Playing fields.

Burdiehouse Burn Valley Park

Feels weird to call it a park. It's more like a long trail with a lot of different bits.
A path leading in to the park.

I ran through 2 bits, including the one with the purple skatepark.
Purple skate ramps in the park.

Mortonhall Community Park

It's this very narrow rectangular piece of land.
A rectangular field with trees on the left and bushes on the right.

By this part of the run, the overcast skies had turned to sun and I regretted not wearing my sunglasses.

It was also incredibly humid, and despite this being the coolest run temperature-wise, it was feeling the most uncomfortable.

I also saw a coo scratching itself against a tree in Mortonhall.
A coo scratching its head against a tree.

Buckstone Park and Woods

A playground in the middle of overgrown grass.

Bellrock Park

This was an unexpected park I came across on OpenStreetMap.
A playground in a field.

Fairemilehead Park
A playground in a large grassy field.

Oxgangs Brae Park

Another one I unexpectedly found through OpenStreetMap.
A playpark with a large building behind it.

It was after this park that the heavens opened, so I stayed under a bus shelter for a while to let the heaviest of the rain pass.
Rain falling down onto the pavement.
I don't mind running in the rain, but I had another 8 miles of running to go, and I didn't want to spend that absolutely drenched.

Spylaw Park

As a park itself, Spylaw isn't that interesting.
A park with a tree in the foreground.

But its location is right under a bridge and along the Water of Leith.
A bridge over the Water of Leith.

The Water of Leith with trees either side.
Campbell Park

I thought there were be an entrance to the park the route I took to get there. But there ended up being a fence, so I just had to peer through at people playing cricket.
A field with people playing cricket in it.

Curriemuirend Park

This was the further west I went. I kept running into the park waiting to see whatever the main event of this park was, but rain was starting again, so I snapped a pic where I was and ran out again.
An overgrown field.

Dovecot Park

A grassy field.
It was 2.3 miles to get to the next park. Another stop through the Water of Leith along the way.
Water of Leith with trees either side.

Colinton Mains Park

Some pretty stunning views of the Pentlands from this park.
A grassy field with the Pentlands in the distance.

A playground with the Pentlands in the distance.

Braidburn Valley Park (again)

This time from the opposite end of the park.
Braid Burn lined with bushes.

On the way to the next park, I passed some horses cheering me on. Felt like I was running in a race with supporters on the sides.
A gravel path with brown horses on the left and a white horse on the left.

Seven Acres Park

I've been here many times, so I knew it was going to be the prettiest park of them all. The view into Holyrood Park from here is gorgeous.
A grassy field with Holyrood Park in the distance on a cloudy day.

Here's a picture of that same view on a sunnier day.
A grassy field with Holyrood Park in the distance on a sunny day.

Got a pretty good playground, too.

Also the only selfie of the run. Can you tell I was 12.5 miles in and had run through rain?
Selfie in the park.

Liberton Park

Not as nice as Seven Acres, but also beautiful views into Holyrood Park.
A grassy field with Arthur's Seat in the distance.

St Katherine's Park
A grassy field with outdoor exercise equipment.

Gracemount Community Park

It's not a nice park as you can tell from the dead grass lying around.
A grassy field with dead grass on top.

Running reflections

Less running, more orienteering

While this was a running challenge, it felt more like orienteering. I basically had my phone out the whole time, both to keep taking pictures of the parks and then to look at a map to find out where I was running next. 

So there was a lot of stopping and walking around. Each run took between 3 and 4 and a half hours, which is not how long it would take to run these distances if I was just running. 

Ready for marathon training

This run/walk approach was a good method to get me ready for marathon training which started 3 days after the south parks run. 

I hadn't run a half marathon since December, so this challenge let me ease into running longer distances, which is soon to become my new normal for Sunday long runs.

It's not just distance; it's also time. I'm not used to being out that long for a run, so 4 and half hours navigating parks is preparing my marathon mindset.

Being an overachiever is annoying sometimes

Yes, this has all been good marathon training prep, but man, it's annoying being an overachiever.

When I scheduled the east run, I was quite informal about planning the route, just checking Google maps for parks. I didn't care about hitting every single park. Just enough to cover a 10 mile-ish route.

But when I used the MyParkScotland website to plan the other routes, I felt compelled to run EVERY PARK I saw on the map.

When planning the north route, I first decided not to put Davidson's Main Park on it because it would add an extra 2 miles to an already long route. But on the day, when I got to Silverknowes Park, I had this feeling of, well, I'm already this close, might as well extend the route.

When I was going over my south route the night before I ran it, I realized there were other parks nearby that I hadn't included. So that route got extended by another mile.

To be fair, I'm ultimately glad I ran what I ran, but considering how exhausted I was (especially after the north route with the post-run cycle), I just have to wonder what makes me do the things I do sometimes.

Of course, what's ultimately driving me to do these running challenges is raising money for a cause that's important to me. 

So if you're at all impressed with my ability to run 48.8 miles and cover 79 parks, please consider donating to JCWI.

July running challenge

7 hills of Edinburgh

While this is normally a 1-day challenge runners can do, I'm going to spread covering Edinburgh's 7 hills over a couple of runs in July.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loch Ness Marathon

Running in 2023

Manchester Half Marathon