August 2021 challenge: Sunday long runs

In August, I focused on my long marathon training runs which ranged from 6.4 to 18 miles, and learned just how much running is a mental challenge over a physical one.

Fundraising for JCWI in 2021

This is the 8th recap post of my 2021 monthly running challenges. These challenges are part of my fundraiser for the Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants (JCWI). 



Recapping the horrors of UK immigration each month

As part of my fundraising efforts, I am also raising awareness about what's happening in the world of UK immigration each month.

I want people to understand just how much awfulness happens in 28 to 31 days. My recaps will be over on my Medium site.

Why Sunday long runs

I'm in the middle of marathon training. With one exception, my Sunday training schedule went from a half marathon all the way up to 18 miles. I think that's enough of a challenge in itself.

But me being me, I needed to make it interesting in some way. So August is the story of long runs to interesting places or doing interesting things.

Run 1: Edinburgh landmarks half marathon

My first run was on August 1, which was the same day as the London Landmarks half marathon race. Inspired by that, I decided to run into central Edinburgh to snap pics of some local landmarks.

Seeing as I photographed many landmarks when I did the 7 hills of Edinburgh last month, I focused on landmarks I haven't photographed this year.
Scott Monument under a grey sky.
Scott Monument

Burns Monument under a grey sky.
Burns Monument

The front exterior of Scottish Parliament.
Scottish Parliament

The front exterior of St Giles' Cathedral.
St Giles' Cathedral

The front exterior of Bedlam Theatre.
Bedlam Theatre

The front exterior of Teviot, the student union building.
Teviot

I finished the run feeling the best I've ever felt after a half marathon. My legs weren't tired after or even the next day. I could really start to feel my fitness building up.

Run 2: Gladhouse Reservoir, 6.4 miles

My friend Andy (who is also marathon training) drove us to Gladhouse Reservoir for what was meant to be a 10 mile run. I could not work out how to get on the trail I mapped out, though, so we ended up shortening it to 6.4 miles.

(It's okay, though, because my marathon training plan said to run 10k to 10 miles. Why they were giving me a choice for this run, I have no idea.)

I love this reservoir. It's so beautiful. 
Gladhouse Reservoir with hills in the distance.

Gladhouse Reservoir lined with trees on the shore.

Sheep grazing in a field.

Me and Andy with Gladhouse Reservoir behind us.

Run 3: Roslin Glen Country Park, 14 miles

One of my 2020 half marathons was to Rosslyn Chapel, so I extended the route into Roslin Glen Country Park to make my 14 mile run of the month.

Running into the park meant a bit of trail running.
Me smiling in front of a river.

A river with rocks in it.


I also got to see Rosslyn Castle.
The ruined structure of Rosslyn Castle.

And of course had to stop for a photo of Rosslyn Chapel.
The back exterior of Rosslyn Chapel.

It was a very slow run, but at no point did I feel tired. My legs felt okay, strong even, for the rest of the day.

Run 4: Up the coast, 16 miles

I started my 16 mile run by heading over to Musselburgh.

It was sunny when I started the run, but by the time I got to the coast it was fog central.
River Esk in the fog in Musselburgh.
Foggy Musselburgh town.

So much for beach views.
Musselburgh Beach with fog in the background.
Foggy Musselburgh Beach.

Me smiling on Musselburgh Beach.
I then ran north up through Portobello. Still fog. But a surprising number of people swimming.
Portobello Beach in the fog.

When I started going towards Leith, the fog went, but the humidity became pretty uncomfortable.

I then cut over to the Water of Leith path before heading uptown.
A still Water of Leith.

I finished the run 2.5 miles from home. Literally as I finished, the humidity dissipated and it started raining, progressively getting heavier as I walked back. What joy.

The upside was my legs weren't tired, and I could manage the 2.5 miles just fine, despite the weather.

Run 5: Harlaw and Glencourse Reservoirs, 18 miles

For my final long run of August, I decided to follow a route into the Pentlands I had cycled in July. 

The first stop was Harlaw Reservoir. About 2 miles before you get there, though, there's a steep hill to climb.

When I cycled this hill in July, it was gruelling. Running it, though, was very manageable. It felt like a baby hill compared to the cycling experience.

Once you get high enough up the hill, you get a view over into the bridges in the Forth.
Forth bridges in the distance of a field.
Zoom in, the bridges are there, I swear!

It was a cloudy, coolish day, so I stopped for some photos at Harlaw Reservoir, but didn't dip my toes in the water.
Harlaw Reservoir with hills in the distance.

Me smiling at Harlaw Reservoir.

It then turned into a trail run for a while as I traversed the Pentlands over to Glencourse Reservoir.
Hills in the Pentlands looking into Glencourse Reservoir.

Glencourse Reservoir with a row boat in the middle of it.
The hilliness of the Pentlands meant I was finishing with more tired legs this run, but still felt I could have run further even after 18 miles.

Running reflections

Running is a mental challenge over a physical one

When I started my marathon training, I was quite nervous at the prospect of these long runs and how I'd be able to keep up with such distances week after week. 

But what I've learned through doing these is that running is more of a mental challenge than a physical one.

When I did my 14 mile run, I referred to it as a baby run, because it's only 53% of a marathon distance. So compared to 26.2 miles, it's tiny.

Marathon training has totally changed my perception of distance. Whereas I dreaded doing my 2020 monthly half marathons, 13.1 miles feels quick compared to the new distances I'm running.

Run slowly

The other thing that makes running these distances manageable is to just accept that I need to run them slowly. These aren't races. They are training runs. 

Yes, I'm following a training plan which sets a specific pace, but more than anything else, I want to be able to cover the distance and still have my legs working the next day. And so far, they have been.

Running a marathon will be fine

With this new perception of distance I have and my acceptance with going slow, I don't have any worries or nerves about running my first marathon in October.

I know it'll be fine. I know that even though my longest training run will be 20 miles, I'll still be able to do 26.2 miles on the day.

I'm a pretty capable runner.

More than anything else, what will keep me going is that I'll be running the marathon in support of a cause that's important to me. So if you haven't already, consider chipping in a donation to JCWI.

September challenge


JCWI is running a movement-based challenge next month, and of course, I'm taking part. I'll be using my 20 mile training run in September as part of the challenge.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loch Ness Marathon

Running in 2023

Manchester Half Marathon