Scurry Along the Esk 10 miles

I ran my first race of 2022, 10 miles along the River Esk through stunning trails.

Me smiling holding my race medal.
Starting off 2022 with a trail race.

Why Scurry Along the Esk

I started following Scurry Events on social media after I did Scurry to the Sea last July. 


I saw this race come up and was intrigued by the route and location.

It started at Roslin Glen Country Park which I've been to quite a few times before, but went through trails I had never been on. It seemed like a good local race to try out.

The journey

I don't normally have anything interesting to say about how to I get to local races. But this one was of note because it was the first race I cycled to. 
The handrails of my bike in the middle of Bilston Viaduct.
Cycling over Bilston Viaduct.

And it was a scenic cycle at that. Most of the route there was through the cycle path along the bypass, which has some pretty, rural views along the way.

It was also a rather hilly cycle to be immediately followed by a 10 mile run. And then a cycle back. I basically did an inverse duathlon. 

The road from Roslin Glen Country Park is incredibly steep, so while downhill to get to, I did not fancy cycling up it after the race. As such, I parked at Rosslyn Chapel and hopped on the trails that take you down into the park.
Trail staircase down into Roslin Glen Country Park.
Trail staircase down into Roslin Glen Country Park.

A toilet queue in a car park

After picking up my race number, I did what all good runners do before a race: queue for the toilet.

I normally like to note the queue wait time in my race recaps, but what's worth mentioning here is the queue extended into a car park.
People in a queue for the toilets with cars in the car park on the lefthand side.
Looking out for incoming cars while queuing. 

So as far as race experiences go, this is definitely the least safe I've felt having to wait for a port-a-potty while also watching out for cars trying to get in.

Jumping before the start

As has become tradition, I needed to take a jumping selfie at the race. Luckily, the River Esk provided a good backdrop for this race jump.
Me jumping in the air in front of the River Esk.
Mandatory race jump.

I then headed to the start line where the other racers started to gather.
Selfie of me smiling with all the runners at the start behind me.
Just before the start.

The stairs of hell

The race started with some beautiful riverside views and then was quickly followed by what I'm calling the stairs of hell a half mile in.
Rocks in the River Esk and trees in the background.
The pretty view before the stairs of hell.

I will run hills. Hills are fine. Stairs, on the other hand, are painful to run.

I did not appreciate stairs so quick into the race. These stairs were not made for short-legged runners. They were long, and they were tough. But ran them I did.
The long trail steps at the beginning of the route.
The stairs of hell.

From river to fields

Most of the rest of the run was along the Penicuik-Dalkeith walkway, which I can't believe I didn't know was a thing, because it's a really pretty thing easy enough to get to by bike for me.

The first bit was along fields with rapeseed flowers blooming and views of the Pentlands in the distance.
Yellow rapeseed flowers in a field.
Yellooooooooow.

There then started to be a few tunnels along the way as we passed under roads. I was hoping to pass through one while no one else was so I could start singing and check the acoustics. But no luck.
The start of a tunnel to run through.
Tunnel crossings.

Back to the river

From mile 4, the route was primarily along the river again.
A bridge with semi-circular iron railings.

The river winding through trees.

The bridge with semi-circular iron railings and the river in the background.
Definitely the coolest bridge on the route.

I passed this weird Waverley Celtic Supporters Club area along the river, which was basically just a lot of Irish and Scottish flags and green stuff. Seemed like a random location for it.
Celtic supporter paraphernalia in the distance of a field.
Celtic supporter paraphernalia in the distance.

An uphill 5th mile

Most of the trails by this point were paved, but at mile 5, we ventured up into proper trails again. 

And by up, I mean it got hilly. I dreaded this at first, but then remembered hills are where I get my ego boost on runs because they're often where I keep running while other racers walk.

This held true this race, but sadly, I didn't get to relish in actually eclipsing any runners on the hilly bit.

I was so close to passing someone, but then the course started descending, and they started running again. Darn.
A narrow trail surrounded by grass and trees.
Running up that hill.

The turn at Valleyfield Pond

The mile 6 marker was at my favorite spot of the route: Valleyfield Pond.

The very definition of serene. It was like a little meadow with a deck area out on the water. I definitely want to go back there by bike.
A grassy foreground with a pond behind it.
Valleyfield Pond.

A pond with a deck area jutting out into it.

At this point, the course turned around and the majority of the remaining 4 miles were covering old ground.

The finish

Covering old ground meant I now had to run down the stairs of hell. Running down them was equally bad as trying to run up them. 

But running them meant the end was in sight. My official finishing time was 1:58:01, and according to my running watch, it actually ended up being 9.94 miles. So not quite a full 10.

After not getting a medal at Scurry to the Sea, I was excited to learn I would get a medal at this race. And it's glass! So quite a unique addition to the collection.
The glass medal with a turtle on it and it says Scurry along the Esk 10 miles.
My first glass medal.

I also got a snood, which is great because I wear the Keplies 5k one I got all the time, so I can now have a rotation between them.
Me wearing the orange snood with turtles on it.
Another snood! With turtles on it!

After asking a stranger to take my finishing pic, it was time to start the (thankfully) downhill cycle home.

Next race


After only getting to do the virtual version in 2020, I'm trying out the Edinburgh Half for real this time.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Edinburgh Half Marathon 2023

Loch Ness Marathon

Edinburgh Winter Run 5k 2023