My first Parkrun

After 4 years of running, I finally participated in my first Parkrun event at Portobello.

Me standing and smiling with a pond behind me.
Ready to Parkrun.

Why Parkrun

I normally use this blog to recap races and challenges, but I figured participating in my first Parkrun is something to note. 

I assumed Parkrun was something I'd try at some point, I just didn't know when. 

One of my main reasons for not trying any in Edinburgh all this time was that they were really inconvenient for me to get to, especially pre-pandemic when I didn't have a bike.

However, my running friend AnThony suggested going to one together for a catch up, so I thought now was the time.

I chose Portobello as it was the easiest for me to cycle to. 

A 3-lap course

The Portobello course is 3 laps of Figgate Park, so as far as routes go, it's not the most interesting one in the world, especially as I've run through the park before. 
A pond in Figgate Park.
Figgate Park.

But I was really impressed with how well-organized a local, free run is and how many people volunteer to help out. 

Everything from volunteers holding up sub-time signs to organize runners into start pens, to marshalling the course, to scanning your barcode at the end to give you your final time. It's nice to see such a communal effort go into making these weekly events.
A group of runners in the park standing getting ready for the start.
Runners getting ready to start.

AnThony and I spent the whole time chatting and catching up while running, so the time flew by. (And it helped break the monotony of the course!)
AnThony and me running the Parkrun course.
AnThony and me running. (Photo credit: David Seel)

It was a gorgeous morning and not too humid, which was a welcome relief from what it's been like running in Edinburgh recently.
A path in the park under blue skies with some clouds.
Mainly blue skies for my first Parkrun.

I got an email later in the day to say my finish time was 33:03.

Post-run hot chocolate

AnThony and I continued our catch up down at Portobello Beach. I had cooled down enough after the run to determine hot chocolate was in order.

I thought the Miro's takeaway cup was pretty enough to warrant its own pic. 
My hand holding a takeaway cup from Miro's which has a seahorse on it.
Pretty takeaway cup.

My Parkrun future

Purely because how long it takes me to get to Edinburgh Parkruns, I'm not looking to make this a regular habit.

If it were 10k, maybe I'd think differently. But cycling to do a 5k...not my thing.

That being said, if I'm traveling somewhere new and there's a Parkrun, I'd definitely be tempted to try it out. As this blog shows, I do love to travel for a run.

Till next time, Parkrun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Edinburgh Half Marathon 2023

Loch Ness Marathon

Edinburgh Winter Run 5k 2023