Edinburgh Half Marathon 2023

 I ran the Edinburgh Half Marathon for the second time and got my third-best time.

Me in a USA flag running outfit jumping in the air holding my medal from the race.
The jumping American returns.

Why Edinburgh Half Marathon

I wanted to run a big half marathon race, but I didn't feel up to traveling. So I signed up to my local half, where I got a PB last year.

The journey

Last year, the race started near the Commonwealth Pool, which was an easy enough walk to get to. This year, it started at the University of Edinburgh central campus, which is a bit farther for me, so I opted for the bus. 

There were already a few people in running gear when I got on the bus, so the convergence of the runners started quite early on in my journey to the start area. 

Special toilet access

Last year, I was still in the toilet queue when the race started. This year, I took advantage of the University being the starting point for the race and brought my staff card with me, so I could use the Main Library toilets.

Turns out, I wasn't the only one with this plan. I saw a lot of staff and students in running gear coming in to use this bathroom, which I was amused by. 

And good thing we did have special access to the special toilets because when I got to my start pen, the line for the toilets runners could use was huge.

Thank you, employer, for this wonderful and unexpected perk.
The University of Edinburgh Main Library with runners standing outside.
Runners headed to the Main Library.

The race

As you'll read, I wasn't in the best headspace during this race, so this is probably my least exciting race recap. Consider yourself warned: you're about to read some boring content.
A selfie of me smiling waiting for the race to start.
Waiting for the race to start.

A crowded beginning

I wasn't expecting a PB like last year, but I was hoping for somewhere in the range of 2 hours 10 minutes or basically anything around or (preferably) under 10-minute average miles.

With this different starting point, I felt the race got off to a much slower start as runners were quite tightly packed through the center of town.

We went from Bristo Square, to the Mound, across Princes Street Gardens - it wasn't until we got to the Royal Mile I felt there was space to spread out. So this felt much different to last year where I said the race felt spaced out.

Sunny skies and a lack of motivation

Miles 2 to 6 were particularly sunny, so much harder to run through. I also just wasn't feeling that motivated, which is why I wasn't expecting a PB. 

My last long run was the race 10 mile race I did in March, so it had been a while since I'd done a run over 10k, which is usually my longest weekly distance. 

I could definitely feel I had not run long distance in a while. This combined with the lack of motivation confirmed for me there was not going to be a surprise PB.

Cloudy to the finish and making an attempt to try harder

From the end of Portobello to the finish, I was running under cloudy skies, which were welcome after 4 hot miles in the sun.

I also started to feel bad about how unmotivated I was doing a mediocre job at a race I paid for, so I figured I'd try a bit more.

I looked at my watch at mile 9 and saw if I averaged no more than 10:15 for the next 4 miles, I'd finish with an average of 10-minute miles.

I did mile 10 in 9:50, so I was off to a good start. It got a bit harder for miles 11 and 12 as there was a slight incline to deal with, but I was well within target. 

I finished the race 2:11:31, though I ran about 13.2 miles. According to Stava, I ran a half marathon in 2:10:26, which is my third-best time.

So under-10-minute miles on average in the end. I'm not riding the high of a PB like last year, but I at least achieved a time I was hoping to get.

Best part of this year was my boyfriend was waiting for me when I crossed the finish line, so I had someone to hug, take my photo, and carry my things for the return home. Thanks, John! :) 
The race medal in my hand which shows and outline of Edinburgh buildings and says 'half marathon' across the bottom.
EMF know how to do a good medal.

Next race


I'm not racing again until marathon number 3 in October.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loch Ness Marathon

Edinburgh Winter Run 5k 2023